The easy way to broccoli rabe nirvana, no blanching required.
spicy broccoli rabe
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 to 1 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on your heat preference)
1 bunch of broccoli rabe, washed, tough stem ends removed, and roughly chopped
freshly ground black pepper
To finish: good-quality xvoo and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Maldon sea salt
- Heat 2 Tbsp xvoo in a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a lid over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for about 1 minute, until garlic is fragrant and beginning to take on a golden hue.
- Gradually add broccoli rabe, a couple of handfuls at a time, stirring to coat with oil. Once all rabe has been added, toss in a large pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rabe is wilted.
- Add a splash of water (about 2 Tbsp), cover pot, and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 10 minutes, until rabe is tender. If at this point the rabe is too bitter for your taste (some bunches are more bitter than others), add another splash of water and cook 5 to 10 minutes more. Otherwise, uncover pot and cook for another minute or 2 to allow remaining water to evaporate.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve drizzled with good xvoo and sprinkled with grated Parmigiano or Maldon sea salt.