1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed with mortar and pestle
1 pound okra, stems removed (slice right at the base of the stem, avoid cutting into the pod)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil and butter in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute onion with a pinch of salt until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute, stirring.
- Add spices and stir for 1 minute. Add okra and a pinch of salt, and stir to coat evenly with the spices.
- Add 1/3 cup water to the pan, stir, and cover. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until okra is tender. Add a little more water if the pan gets too dry.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Great as a side dish or as a main course over brown basmati rice.