1 2-pound winter squash
1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped into bite-size pieces (about 6 cups)
extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1-1/2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
3-1/2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
1 cup orzo pasta
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
- Preheat oven too 400 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds and pulp (save the seeds for roasting). Cut squash into wedges leaving skin on (if buttercup, acorn, or other thick-skinned varieties), or peel and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (if using butternut or delicata). Toss the squash with 2 Tbsp XVOO, pinch of sea salt, and pinch of pepper in a bowl and transfer to a baking dish. Roast at 400 F for about 25 minutes, until tender and golden brown. If squash was roasted with skin on, remove skin with a paring knife and cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
- Heat 2 Tbsp XVOO in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add broccoli rabe and a pinch of salt, and saute for about 5 minutes. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes until broccoli rabe is tender.
- Saute onion with a pinch of salt in 1 Tbsp XVOO for 5 minutes. Add minced rosemary and saute for another minute.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a pot, add orzo and cook for 8 to 9 minutes (al dente).
- Add squash, broccoli rabe, onion and rosemary mixture, toasted pine nuts, and grated parmigiano to pot with orzo. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is, or transfer to a baking dish, top with a bit more parmigiano, and broil for 5 minutes until top is golden.