Beans and dark leafy greens make a simple, hearty, and nutrient-packed side dish or meal -- great served with steamed brown rice, quinoa, or bulgur. Depending on how pungent you'd like the garlic flavor, either add it at the same time as the red pepper flakes (it will cook and become more mellow) or at the end (more pungent).
Extra virgin olive oil (2-3 Tbsp)
Hot pepper flakes (about 1/2 tsp)
1 to 1-1/2 pounds kale, cut into bite-size pieces
1-1/2 cups cooked pinto beans*
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a medium-sized pot. Stir in red pepper flakes and allow to infuse for about 1 minute.
- Add kale and a pinch of salt. Stir until kale wilts.
- Add beans to the pot and stir to combine. Cover and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off heat and stir in garlic and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle each serving with a bit of parmesan and drizzle with olive oil.
*Soak beans in cold water for 6-12 hours. Rinse, place in a pot, and cover with plenty of fresh cold water. Add about a 1-inch piece of dried kombu (kelp), cover, bring to a boil, and add a big pinch of salt. Simmer covered for 1 to 1-1/2 hours until beans are tender.