Cherry Almond Muffins
Yield: 8-9 muffins
Dry ingredients: 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted before measuring) 3/4 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/4 cup sucanat or rapadura
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup whole milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1/2 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
Butter, for muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift together AP flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in sucanat and whole wheat pastry flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then whisk in milk, melted butter, and almond extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and incorporate with a few strokes. Avoid overmixing, as it will develop the gluten in the flour and result in a tough muffin. And nobody wants that.
- Stir in the cherries and almonds.
- Pour batter into a buttered muffin tin, using about 1/3 cup batter per muffin. Bake until muffins are golden brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.